A fortnight ago, Emma from Curly Girl Abroad nominated me for the Blue Sky Tag; I’m not entirely sure of its origins, but I’m only too happy to tag along (pardon the awful pun). Emma’s blog is a lovely mishmash of general ponderings, baking and travelling – so if you fancy touring Europe (and a chunk of the US of A) from your sofa, then head on over! Thank you for the nomination Emma, and without further ado on y va!
- Thank the person who nominated you and link back to their blog
- Write a post answering their questions
- Nominate other bloggers and write eleven questions for them
- Let them know you’ve nominated them
- Where are you from?
I’m from the North of England, where there are half a dozen words for a bread roll, anything above 15°C is basically summer (and we’ll dress as such), and the evening meal is called tea not dinner (unless it’s Christmas).
- Share something from your country: a story, a picture, a recipe . . .
Since I’m from “up north” (as opposed to “down south”), it seems only fitting to share a picture of one of the most beautiful landscapes in the region: the Lake District. Wast Water, according to ITV viewers, is Britain’s favourite view – and it’s certainly one of mine too!
- Favourite season?
Winter clinches top spot for me: the minutest prospect of snow has me feeling like a giddy child; the festivities in the run-up to Christmas never fail to put a smile on my face; and it’s socially acceptable to curl up in your jim-jams at 4pm, because it’s already dark outside.
- Are you on Instagram? Share someone you are following.
I’m not on Instagram for blogging purposes, so I’ll have to pass on this one.
- How do you drink your tea or coffee?
I don’t drink coffee – I’ve tried it with a splash of milk and without, with sugar and sugar-free and I just can’t make myself like it. As for tea, on the rare occasions I have a cuppa it has to be with a dash of milk and no sugar. When it comes to hot beverages, I tend to opt for infusions or hot chocolates (preferably with cream and marshmallows, unless that costs extra).
- How do you like to celebrate your birthday?
When I was younger, I used to love having birthday parties with hide and seek (squeezing into the gap between the wall and the washing machine was always one of my favourite spots), musical bumps and pass the parcel. These days, it’s a more low-key affair – and as long as there’s cake involved I don’t mind too much what I do on the day.
- Favourite mode of transportation?
Wherever possible, I like to use my own two feet to get from A to B – I like walking safe in the knowledge that I can take as many detours and photo stops as I like, and that I’m completely in control of where I go and how fast I get there. For longer trips, I like to let the train take the strain.
- The dessert you like the most is . . .?
This is a toughie; I have rather a sweet tooth so I’ll eat almost any dessert (except crème brûlée). I can never resist a wedge of sticky toffee pudding, but my all-time favourite would have to be the trusty carrot cake. (I’m firmly in the camp that vegetables do belong in cakes.)
- Do you know an original question? If yes, answer it!
Since I’m currently out of original questions – my brain is zapped from marking papers over the last week – I’ll share a joke instead:
Five English cats and five French cats have a swimming race across the Channel. Which cats won?
The English, because the French cats cinq.
- Guacamole or salsa?
Neither – I’m not a fan of sauces and dips. (Yes, I’m a picky eater.)
- Favourite board game?
Scrabble is hands-down my favourite board game. I’ve pondered buying the French edition, but I’d have relatively few people to play it with! I’m also rather partial to an afternoon of Monopoly or a spot of Scotland Yard.
Rebecca Goes Rendezvous | Rebecca is the living definition of wanderlust and her archives are chock-a-block with travel tales and misadventures.
Travel Gourmand | Allison’s posts are sure to sate any armchair globetrotter’s thirst for travel. (And if you’re feeling adventurous, you can even try one of her recipes!)
A Girl With Geography | Natasha’s blog has gorgeous photos by the bucketful and narratives that transport you to the places she’s been.
Travel and Trouvailles | Jessie’s currently studying abroad in Toulouse, and her blog is jam-packed with posts on nibbles, cultural havens and more.
Questions for my nominees:
- If you could speak another language fluently, which would you choose and why?
- What do you never travel without?
- What’s your biggest pet peeve?
- Where in the world would you most like to go?
- Are you a bookworm or a movie buff?
- What’s your favourite ice cream/ sorbet flavour?
- Which song would you pick for karaoke?
- If you had Hermione’s Time Turner for a day, what would you do with it?
- Are you an early bird or a night owl?
- Does pineapple belong on pizza? (I think so, but you may think otherwise.)
- What’s the strangest food you’ve ever eaten?